Header part 2

making people healthy one person at a time

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gluten-free Vegan Chili Rellenos

 
Gluten-free Vegan Chili Rellenos
8 Poblanos roasted with top cut off and skins peeled off, careful to keep the pepper intact.
1 package of Daiya cheddar cheese, or cheese of choice
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
3/4 cup soda water
1 teaspoon of salt
1 bottle safflower oil





I oven roast my Poblanos on 450 for about 20 minutes. Roasting Poblanos is tricky because they are so thin you can burn them fast. I also wear gloves to peel the skins off so my hands don't burn for the rest of the day. When I take them out of the oven, I put them in a resealable container and wait about 10 minutes and the skins slide right off. Cut the tops off, remove seeds and carefully put a spoonful of Daiya cheese in the bottom and push it down with a spoon. Then add the Chorizo and depending on your pepper, about 1 to 2 spoonfuls, then a spoonful of cheese again. Once you have all your Poblanos ready, it's time to mix the batter. Put the garbanzo bean flour in a mixing bowl with the salt then add the soda water. Mix together until there are no lumps and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Get a big pot and pour the oil in to about an inch and turn the burner on half way. By the time the batter is ready the oil will be hot. I use a tall pot because, well, I've been burned. Plus, less of a mess to clean up, too. Test your oil with a drip of batter to see if it's ready. When it's ready, dip the stuffed pepper in the batter and carefully lay it in the pot,  as many as will fit. I'm stingy with my oil so I have to flip my peppers after about 4 minutes and do the other side, but if you put more oil in you can cover the whole pepper and not have to flip. Fry it until golden brown. Remove with a metal slotted spoon for best results. Top with sauce and eat until you can't eat anymore! It's good!

Chili Rellenos Sauce
 4 cups pureed fresh organic tomatoes
1 onion diced
4 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp cumin
1 TBS chipotles in adobo sauce
2 TBS olive oil

Add onion, garlic, cumin, chipotles in adobo sauce and olive oil to pan or skillet. Cook on medium low. Heat until onions are translucent. Add in tomato puree and simmer about 30 minutes or until desired thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites